RSS

Bright eyed and bushy tailed

How nice it was to watch the end of the sunrise this morning, not something this night shift nurse gets to enjoy very often. I sat with my coffee in the sun room and quietly watched the mom and dad birds flutter around the nest in the corner of the house. I thought I heard babies but the racket of their dance was loud and I may have just imagined the peeps of their young. Definitely the season of newness and rebirth. It certainly inspires a desire to nurture a new project, to witness it grow and become part of our lives. One of my ER docs was sharing how his wife quit her career as a pediatrician to pursue a life of being an artist, not something he nor their bank account seemed to appreciate. I commented that I thought it was wonderful that she put material things secondary to her desire to chase her dreams. I always wanted to be "artistic" instead of just "crafty" and it took many years but I have finally come to realize that we are all artistic. We may not paint like the masters but we can have the same effect on those around us. The art of mothering, the art of fatherhood, the art of touching lives is something we can all do. Maybe I'm just feeling philosophical this morning...
I finished Ayla's Waldorf style ballerina doll yesterday, complete with ballet slippers and decided I'm going to have to carry her on the plane. Way to much work to chance having her tossed about in my suitcase! Also finished a soft baby for Sophie, also Waldorf style. I love the simplicity of the faces, even if the work is not simple! The ballerina doll had her hair put on one strand at a time, and the final result was worth the time. My little soft sculpture baby, Squirt, has a little knit cap and a diaper, although I'm not happy with the velcro closures and will change them. For now he sits with his little naked butt waiting for a cloth diaper!
I hope to get some monkeys and little piggies cut and packed in my take along bag today and perhaps will complete some on the flights to and from. I guess thats the nice thing about projects that are completely handsewn (and little!).

0 comments: