RSS

Home Sweet Home

We are in our new home; no household goods since the movers are...let me put on my surprised face...delayed until Monday. We got in Tuesday night to discover our surprise house was pretty decent and we'll do well here for the next two years. The houses are right on top of each other and our backyard is the size of a postage stamp but it's enough for the dogs and they are quite content. Peanut, the cat, also uses the new doggie door and lays around in the sun as well. We have spent the last few days exploring the area, marking my map for all the things I need, and I have to say, I have become pretty good at finding our way around. We are so not used to having anything close by, the once a month trip "into town" (Salisbury, MD) was an hour and a half trip and then our choices were still limited. Everything is within 15-20 minutes away and I love the fact that there is a Joann's Fabrics, Michael's Craft store, a fairly large mall, Staples, etc close by. We have a Joann's Superstore about 45 minutes away and it won't be bad to make that trip once in awhile. I got a CA drivers license my first day and they issue a temporary paper one and mail the real deal, eventually, I guess! I also got a library card and am thrilled it's a nice library and only a few blocks away. A nice change for sure! We bought a new couch so we're no longer sitting on the floor, and our new frig arrived today so we shopped for sandwich fixin's and frozen dinners we can cook in the microwave until our pots and pans arrive! Will be nice to eat in tonight. We've picked up some basics at Walmart, a 5 minute ride down the highway. We explored a wonderful quilt shop today and I enjoyed talking to the ladies. They immediately asked me to join a quilt guild and I insisted I was not a quilter, just a sewer who likes to piece fabric together, they laughed and said...uh huh. Seems to be a common theme amongst quilters! We got a tour of Mark's new station and it's certainly bigger than his old. I think he will be quite happy there! He borrowed a TV from one of the crew and he is less stir crazy now. I'm fine with a book or playing on the laptop but he sure does miss his TV and X Box! HA! The cable guy came today so we have more than 4 channels and real computer connections! I haven't started looking for a job yet, but Mark leaves on Wednesday to go back to VA for a month and I will explore the job opportunities after he leaves. I will be heading back to VA for his change of command and we're driving back across the country a 2nd time so starting a job and requesting 2 weeks off doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I'll use the time to set up house, explore the area some more, and prepare for my husband to join me permanently in a month. I am certain we will enjoy the next two years! Life is good...

0 comments: