RSS

I forgot...

I forgot that I wanted to share a story so will add it now. First let me preface this by saying I have thought of my gramma many times in the past few weeks, remembering all the things she did for me. Gram was always my hero, the reason I became a nurse. I can't articulate the incredible impact she had on my life. I was fortunate this week that one of my relatives shared a memorial slide show of Gram. I sat and sobbed as I watched it. Sadness yes, but what joy and memories it brought back. Yesterday, I ran to Joanns fabric to pick up some zippers, a quick trip, get what you need and get out. That's what the plan was anyway. I picked out my handful of zippers and headed to the checkout and came to a screeching halt behind a young (maybe 19-20 yr old) girl who was guiding an older (maybe 80?) lady to the cash register. I waited 30 minutes for them to complete their checkout process. I heard grumbling behind me, people shuffling feet with impatience. All I could do was cry as I watched this young girl encourage her gramma to continue to live a life. Instead of snatching the wallet out of Gramma's hands, the young girl quietly and patiently directed Gram to get her card out. Instead of just signing the sales slip, the young girl guided gramma's hand to the paper, sign here, Gramma. Not once did a hint of frustration show in this girls actions or words. When they were done, I quickly paid for my purchase, and out the door I went. The young thing was still leading the shuffling white haired lady across the parking lot by the arm. Not at a 19 year old pace, but at an 80 year old pace. I could see the girl chattering the entire time, Gramma smiling. I couldn't resist. I waited until Gramma was safely in the car and the young thing came around to the drivers side. I touched her arm, smiled, and said, I am so proud of you. Please enjoy every moment you can with your Gramma. She blushed a deep crimson, told me she spends several days a week with her grandmother who had alzheimers and their outings were the bright spot in her grandmothers day. By now, tears streamed down both our cheeks. I was so touched by the love and compassion this young girl had for her grandmother and knew that while the generation may have it's fair share of selfish people, somewhere there is a grandmother who can still go to the fabric store, can still laugh, can still live life because of the love of a granddaughter.

2 comments:

Mommy's Busy said...

I am a fellow Hyenacart seller,and love reading your blog from time to time.This entry is so perfect,in more ways then one.A perfect way for any one to reflect on many memories,and to surely bring tears to others eyes besides mine:)

Cat said...

You are just so awesome. People get so lost in their own lives and forget to enjoy the moment they have with those they love and will certain miss when they are gone.